Fishing on the West Coast of Vancouver Island
We are proud to bring you the best fishing itineraries that Tofino has to offer! Salt and freshwater fishing for salmon, halibut, trout, and our specialty – steelhead.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they are after” – Henry David Thoreau.
We recognize that recreational anglers the world over are becoming more conservation minded and that dream fishing vacations don’t have to include keeping the fish. It’s about being out there… in the salty ocean air, on that secluded mountain lake, down that pristine river.
If you’ve got conservation in mind, you’ll love our catch and release fishing initiatives. Aside from catching what you will eat for supper, we encourage catch and release for all of our sport fishing programs to ensure the continuation of the species for future generations.
We use barbless hooks specifically designed to limit mortality rates and handle fish as little as possible to ensure healthy survival after release. Our guides go to great lengths to ensure that we utilize state of the art technology like barotrauma descending devices to maintain long-term sustainability of local and migratory fish stocks.
Our fishing programs aren’t about maxing out limits, nor about catching the largest fish. We encourage our clients to keep only what they will eat for dinner.
We also encourage maximum participation in our CPR (Catch, Photograph, and Release) initiative which implements a conservation rewards-based incentive:
- For every fish released (of any species) we will make a $5 donation to local rehabilitation efforts on the client’s behalf.
- The top five largest released fish in the salmon, halibut, and lingcod categories during the course of the season would qualify for a draw for a free 4-hour charter.
- If a client wishes to release all fish during the duration of the charter, we will provide a $50 store credit to the client and make a $50 donation (on the clients behalf) towards local environmental projects — namely those directly working towards rehabilitating anadromous fish stocks.
Salt And Freshwater Fishing Programs:
Offshore fishing Charters
We invite you to join us on our most popular fishing excursion — an offshore fishing charter! We offer half and full day charters with departures in the morning or the afternoon. These charters target Pacific Salmon, Lingcod, Rockfish and even Albacore Tuna (in the right season). Our offshore fishing charters also offer excellent wildlife viewing opportunities, as we commonly encounter whales, porpoises, seals, and a variety of other marine life on our trips. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a first time angler, this fishing experience is not to be missed!
Family fishing Excursions
We're big on family time and we love to take kids and moms fishing. Tofino offers excellent "family-friendly" fishing areas with calm, protected waters, and lots of fish. Our family fishing excursions offer exceptional fishing for Lingcod and a variety of Rockfish. All of our boats are equipped with haulers and we have plenty of traps, so if you and the kids want to ply the depths for Dungeness Crabs or Prawns that is also an option! Come discover why kids of all ages love fishing with us.
float plane & HELI-FISHING
The most exciting trip you will ever take! Explore pristine rivers and lakes that offer incredible dry fly fishing for Steelhead, Trout, and Fall Salmon. Ocean Outfitters has access to some of the best Steelhead rivers on Vancouver Island. Rarely fished, these rivers offer excellent runs of summer, fall, winter, and spring Steelhead. Eager to take dry-flies, these aggressive Steelhead are amongst the most coveted fish of all time. Our helicopters & float planes depart Tofino and cover up to three locations per day, ensuring a unique opportunity to sample some of the best freshwater fishing in North America.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Each individual who wishes to fish on a saltwater fishing excursion must have a tidal-water sport fishing license. Please purchase and print out your personal fishing license before you leave for your fishing adventure. To purchase a license, visit the Fisheries and Oceans Canada website.
- Each individual who wishes to go on a freshwater fishing excursion must have a freshwater fishing license. If you intend to fish for Steelhead, then a Steelhead Conservation Stamp is mandatory. Please purchase and print out your personal fishing license before you leave for your fishing adventure. To purchase a license and any required stamps, visit the BC Freshwater Fishing Licensing website.
- Please bring full rain gear. We fish rain or shine!
- It is important to remember that it is common to experience some swells at sea. If you are concerned about motion sickness- plan in advance to safe guard against any potential nausea by bringing your favourite brand of anti-nausea medication. Candied ginger and chewing gum can help.
- Please bring any food and beverages you wish for. If you would like us to organize a lunch for you, we would be delighted. Simply call our office at 1-877-906-2326.
RESERVE YOUR CHARTER TODAY
All of our fishing packages can be booked online. We recommend booking in advance, especially if you are visiting in the summer as our boats fill up quick. Please note that online bookings must be made at least 24hrs in advance. If you would like to make a booking for a time within the next 24hrs please call our office for availability. Make sure you read & understand our booking policies and waiver terms before processing your reservation.
THREE PERCENT FOR THE FISH!
We implement a 3% surcharge to all fishing charters (both fresh and saltwater) to support local enhancement projects throughout Clayoquot Sound. This initiative ensures that clients have hands on participation in the viability of the resource for generations to come.
CURIOUS ABOUT RECENT FISHING CONDITIONS IN TOFINO?
Check out our latest Fishing Report from lead guide, Josh Temple! Fishing reports are usually updated on a monthly basis.