offshore fishing charters in tofino, bc
We invite you to join us on our most popular fishing excursion — an offshore fishing charter! We offer half and full day charters with departures in the morning or the afternoon. These charters target pacific salmon, lingcod, rockfish, halibut and even albacore tuna (in the right season). Our offshore fishing charters also offer excellent wildlife viewing opportunities, as we commonly encounter whales, porpoises, seals, sea otters, bald eagles, and a variety of other marine life on our trips. Whether you are a seasoned pro chasing a "Tyee" salmon, or a first time angler wanting an action packed day of fishing, this fishing experience is not to be missed.
Deep Sea Salmon Fishing
Tofino offers incredible salmon fishing! Literally millions of salmon swim off our shores and provide anglers with exceptional fishing all year long. Chinook (King) salmon are the largest of the five species of salmon and regularly top 30 pounds — earning "Tyee" status and providing excellent sport on light tackle.
Coho (Silver) salmon are abundant from June to October and are a very acrobatic salmon species when hooked, often making several jumps as you reel them in. Coho's average size ranges from 8 - 15 pounds, but can be as large as 25 pounds.
Sockeye, Chum, and Pink salmon are also caught in our local waters, and round out the catch between Chinkook and Coho.
LingCod & rock fishing
Action, action, and more action is the name of the game in this exciting fishery where anglers can enjoy the feeling of constant bites and rod bending action all day long. Prolific offshore reefs offer exceptional fishing for a variety of bottomfish, including lingcod, yelloweye snapper, rockfish, and more.
Lingcod are a popular gamefish that often reach 40 pounds and are caught by trolling, jigging, and fishing while anchored. They are a great species to target on light tackle.
Yelloweye Snapper, Black Bass, Vermillion, Canary, China, and Quillback are just a few examples of the rockfish species that can be caught fishing in Tofino. Most rockfish are in the 3 – 10 pound range, and are usually encountered while jigging and fishing while on anchor offshore.
We prefer to fish with light-tackle Shimano and Avet jigging combos tailored to enjoy the spectacular sport that these tasty game fish provide.
Albacore Tuna Fishing
During summer months, warm water currents move up the West Coast and sit in deep water trenches a few kilometres offshore from Tofino. The warm currents bring Albacore Tuna with them, which is a great game fish to catch!
Albacore tuna average 20 – 30 pounds but can reach weights of 80 pounds. These tuna are abundant 20 – 30 miles offshore depending on sea surface temperatures and conditions. Check with the guides before booking a trip for Albacore tuna.
Experience the best big game fishing Tofino has to offer! Halibut are the largest fish in our local waters, often topping 100 pounds. Shallow water halibut fishing in 50 - 150 feet of water near shore is the secret. Larger halibut love to prey on octopus and other reef dwellers in shallow waters and we have some of the most productive halibut grounds in Tofino just minutes from our dock.
Large halibut fight extremely well in shallow water, making long, sustained runs and testing the limits of both the angler and tackle. We provide fighting harnesses and belts to help catch these cold water behemoths, and we use circle hooks and IGFA tackle to ensure that we can properly release all breeding females.
Clients are allowed to retain 1 halibut per day, and 2 in possession if fishing more than one day. Please note that all halibut over 50 pounds are females, and new retention laws dictate that all halibut over 60 pounds must be released to preserve the health of the stock.
Offshore Charter Rates
Full Day (10 hours) – $1,500
AM Half Day (6 hours) – $900
PM Half Day (4 hours) – $600
Tofino Offshore Fishing Calendar
*Note that seasonal closures occur to protect spawning Lingcod and Halibut, so please consult our office for up to date news on seasonal closures.
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Each individual who wishes to fish on a saltwater fishing excursion must have a tidal-water sport fishing license. Please purchase and print out your personal fishing license before you leave for your fishing adventure. To purchase a license, visit the Fisheries and Oceans Canada website.
- Please bring full rain gear. We fish rain or shine!
- It is important to remember that it is common to experience some swells at sea. If you are concerned about motion sickness- plan in advance to safe guard against any potential nausea by bringing your favourite brand of anti-nausea medication. Candied ginger and chewing gum can help.
- Please bring any food and beverages you wish for. If you would like us to organize a lunch for you, we would be delighted. Simply call our office at 1-877-906-2326.
DAILY CATCH LIMITS
- Ocean Outfitters has reduced our in-house catch limits and has implemented a 2 salmon aggregate daily limit. 1 Coho and 1 Chinook; or 2 Coho and 0 Chinook; or 2 Chinook and 0 Coho.
- We've also reduced our Rockfish retention by 50%. Limiting 3 per angler per day, or 6 in possession over multi-day fishing trips.
- Lingcod, halibut, and snapper limits have already been curtailed by the Federal government to the point that reducing this allocation would result in zero retention.
CATCH, PHOTOGRAPH, RELEASE (CPR) INITIATIVE
We encourage maximum participation in our CPR initiative which implements a conservation rewards-based incentive:
- For every fish released (any species) we'll make a $5 donation to local rehabilitation efforts on the client’s behalf.
- The top five largest released fish in the salmon, halibut, and lingcod categories during the course of the season would qualify for a draw for a free 4-hour charter.
- If a client wishes to release all fish during the duration of the charter, we will provide a $50 store credit to the client and make a $50 donation (on the clients behalf) towards local environmental projects — namely those directly working towards rehabilitating anadromous fish stocks.
THREE PERCENT FOR THE FISH!
We implement a 3% surcharge to all fishing charters (both fresh and saltwater) to support local enhancement projects throughout Clayoquot Sound. This initiative ensures that clients have hands on participation in the viability of the resource for generations to come.
CURIOUS ABOUT RECENT FISHING IN TOFINO?
Check out our latest Fishing Report! Fishing reports are typically updated on a monthly basis!